When it comes to “special parties” in life, weddings and baby showers come up ‘tops’ on the list!
This article will reveal all the very many creative ways to use poems at baby showers.
If you are going to have or throw a baby shower, please consider using poems! Read the reasons I list below to see “why.”
Our Focus will be on these areas:
- Why use poems at a baby shower?
- Who comes up with the poems?
- Do you have to be a poet?
- Sources of “Poemspiration”
- Poems in the invitations
- At the party, who reads the poems?
- How do I implement the poems into the Baby Shower Party?
- Thank You Poems
- Cake Poems
- Poems for Activities
- Poems for Favors
- Poems for Departure of Guests
- Poems for Mother-to-be to give.
1.) WHY USE POEMS AT BABY SHOWERS?
Why the heck not?! Poems will totally personalize your baby shower! Poems will help inject to your baby shower atmosphere what you are trying to convey — sentimentality or fun or theme. What an excellent addition to add to any Baby Shower!
2.) WHO COMES UP WITH THE POEMS?
Ah! Well, that depends on what the poem is used for. The mother-to-be and work together with her Shower Host and come up with some goodies for the shower parts she is involved in. If it is a surprise baby shower, then it would be the Host(s). The mother-to-be can definitely come up with the thank you poems. The mother-to-be can also write poems to her host after-the-fact, and her mother. Make them sentimental and show your heartfelt thanks! The host(s) can come up with the poems to be used on the cake (we will discuss that later), for the activities (before and after or for the winners and losers or best runner-uppers), for the party favors, and for the thanking of the party guests who went out of their way to attend the baby shower.
3.) DO YOU HAVE TO BE A POET?
No way!! Be creative and fun and original! Express yourself! These poems can be long or short. Funny or serious. YOU DECIDE. Perhaps express the baby shower theme (fun, silly, sentimental,etc.). Just be yourself and your true light will shine through the poems making it even more special to the guests. Perhaps the host can get a little group together that is in charge of the poems. After all, the host has so much to do!
4.) SOURCES OF “POEMSPIRATION”
Like that word, “poemspiration?” Thank you! I just made that up! There are many sources to dig up your inspiration! There are online inspiration (absolutely fantastic! I recommend this!). Go online with your computer and look on Google Search or Yahoo Search and look up “baby shower poem samples” or “baby shower poem ideas” or “baby poem ideas” (you get the idea!). There are so many Baby Shower sites out there and I am certain you can obtains tons of “poemspiration!”
Another thing you may want to check is e-cards. There are so many e-card sites!
Again, go to the Google Search (or whatever you fancy!) and type in “free e-cards”. Be sure to just use the cards as sources of inspiration…be sure to personalize them as fit for what they are for (thank you, game wins/losses, etc Remember: use them as a source of inspiration! Personalize to suite yourself.)
Also, one may want to check out Hallmark or anywhere where they sell cards…peek through them for inspiration! There is also the library! Look at the Poems area or Baby Shower books or Invitations or Thank You Idea books. Ask the librarian for ideas as to where to research.
5.) POEMS IN THE INVITATION
Now, this is sweet! Why not have one general poem in the invite? It can even be the invite itself, perhaps? Perhaps use a beautiful font, or wonderful ink (silver? gold?), or decorative paper or vellum paper? So many ideas! (check out “card ideas” on the internet!) If it is not the invite itself, it can be a wonderful “bonus” to the invitation (and also a prelude hint to what the Baby Shower will be scattered with: Poems!). A Sample of an invite in poem verse may be:
“Just a little party
With a little treat
In honor of somebody special
We’d like you to meet!
A baby shower is being held for xxxxxx
and his/her mommy xxxxxx”
(and the info, of course!)
But, an added Baby Shower Poem (to the invite) is a lovely idea! Make it heartfelt. Make it silly. Whatever applies to the Baby Shower theme. For example:
“Heather’s having a baby
(We know that you know)
Come see her big tummy now
And her new-mom-to-be glow!”
6.) AT THE BABY SHOWER, WHO READS THE POEMS?
Good question! This is where you can get creative!
If you are the mother-to-be’s mother, perhaps YOU want to be the one to read a lovely poem directed to your daughter as a new-mother-to-be…or perhaps directed towards your grandchild to be. If you are the shower host, perhaps YOU want to be the one who reads the poem that welcomes the guests….and the other poems scattered throughout the baby shower (more later)….and the final “thank you” for attending poem…(or, perhaps you as the host would have a wonderful sentimental “thank you for coming” poem written in advance by the mother-to-be, not telling her WHEN the party is, if it is a surprise. This could prove very touching and meaningful to the guests who attended.)
7.) IMPLEMENTING THE POEMS INTO THE BABY SHOWER.
This is a fun creative part, too! Enjoy really giving this part good thought! Some ideas would be as follows (but use this as a ‘jumping-off point’):
- A Welcoming Poem to the guests as each arrives. (Perhaps scrolled and placed in an inexpensive tiny baby bottle?).
- The Host can welcome the guests after they are all there in poem and also introduce the mother of the mother-to-be in poem.
- The mother of the mother-to-be can stand and then read a personal poem written to her daughter who is now a mother-to-be for the first time…and also address one to her grandchild to be (also, she can then hand them to her daughter perhaps framed for a wonderful heartfelt keepsake! The baby will love this when the baby is older!).
- The Host can start the party games/activities with poems and also end each activity/game with another poem for the categories of winner, loser, best effort, most creative,etc. Make them fun and related to the activity! The more giggles you get, the more bonding is done and the more heartfelt enjoyment by all.
- There are more ways which I will cover later (below). But, these are some to get you going!
8.) THANK YOU POEMS
Well, this can actually be two categories: thank you for attending and thank you for the gift.
- Thank you for Attending Poems. This can be a poem read by the Host (or if done in advance by the mother-to-be) to the guests.
- Thank you for the gift poem. This is written by the mother-to-be after the party (after all, she needs time!). She can write a cute poem that incorporates the gift received. It can be brief but it will tie-in the poem theme (within a theme!). It also will show the sincere heartfelt thanks by the mother-to-be, as it takes time and effort to do this.
- Another cool thank you poem may be for the mother-to-be to surprise her mother with a beautiful heart-wrenching poem about how grateful she is to her mother for giving birth to her, etc. (Keep tissues on hand!)
9.) POEMS FOR CAKES
Just to tie it all together, why not put a single nice verse on the cake?!
10.) POEMS FOR THE ACTIVITIES
I already pretty much went through this above. But, just a reminder: it is a neat idea to open each activity/game with a fun poem (to keep the atmosphere friendly and fun!) and even perhaps make a special funny silly one for “levels of winners (or losers!).”
Also–prior to bringing out the cake…announce it with a poem!
Perhaps, have a funny silly poem the host can stand and read out loud loudly to the first guest who gets up to use the restroom! (Be sure not to embarrass! Keep it light and playful.)
It can be suggested that winners or losers (or both!) come up with an on-the-spot poem before getting their prize! This should make for lots of laughs!
11.) POEMS FOR FAVORS
A nice added gift to the party favors might be to add a poem to it! You can have it on a cardboard square with a little diaper cut-out (or something with a baby theme) and tie it onto the party favor. You can also have it tied up as a little scroll and attach it via ribbon or rubber-band,etc. The Baby Shower Poem should be related to the party favors in some way. Be Creative! Have fun!
12.) POEMS FOR DEPARTURE OF GUESTS
I did mention this above, but to recap: the host can read off a lovely poem to the guests before they depart thanking them for coming and telling them how very much appreciative you are for their participation,etc. The mother-to-be could have (weeks or months in advance) have written this “poem for departing guests” and she could stand and read it. That would actually be very touching!!
13.) POEMS FOR THE MOTHER-TO-BE TO GIVE.
Besides everything mentioned above, the mother to be can give our personal thank you poems to each guest (they can be short and easy!) and thank them verbally as she places it lovingly into their palms. No guest would feel their presence was unnecessary. This would be most touching!
The mother-to-be can give her mother a framed poem she wrote for the baby shower occasion…reading it out loud at first (why not film this?!).
The mother-to-be can include a personal poem fitting in the unique gift she received from each guest in her shower thank you cards.
After reading my article, I hope you also agree that these are wonderful secrets on how to implement poems at a baby shower!
The results should be nothing but fantastic for your Baby Shower!